Waltham Forest stabbing: Met Police get extra stop-and-search powers after boy, 14, is stabbed to death

The Met have been granted extra stop-and-search powers in Waltham Forest after the killing of a 14-year-old schoolboy who was “stabbed up to seven times”.
Jayden Moodie, of Waltham Forest, was repeatedly stabbed, according to witnesses, on Bickley Road shortly before 6.30pm on Tuesday.
Following the youngster’s “particularly shocking” death, the Section 60 power will be deployed.
The tactic allows an officer to stop someone without needing “reasonable suspicion” that they are involved in crime.
Officers have called the attack on the young boy “cowardly” and believe it to be a targeted one.

Chief Superintendent Richard Tucker, the Commander of the North East Command Unit which covers the borough of Waltham Forest, said: “Everyone is shocked and appalled by this murder.
“The age of the victim, a boy aged 14, beggars belief and I completely understand the alarm and concern it has raised from those who live and work in the area.”
Detectives from the Homicide and Major Crime team led by Detective Inspector Chris Soole investigate. DCI Soole said: “Any murder is appalling but the death of a 14-year-old boy is particularly shocking.
“Everything we know so far points to the fact that this appears to be a targeted attack and those who carried it out had only one objective which was to inflict fatal injuries on Jayden.
“We continue to investigate why Jayden was singled out and retain an open mind at this time.
“My team is working tirelessly to apprehend those responsible for this cowardly attack and I would appeal to anyone who has information that could assist this investigation to come forward and speak to police or Crimestoppers.”No arrest have been made yet, the Met said.
The murder – the fifth in London this year – is the first to be suspected to be linked to gangs.
Paramedics called to the scene in Bickley Road, Waltham Forest, battled to save the boy but he died in the street at about 7.10pm, 40 minutes after the attack.Witnesses said the boy was knifed in the back after a car “deliberately” drove into him, causing him to fall off the moped.
Police believe three males got out of the car and then stabbed Jayden before returning to the vehicle and driving off. Officers are trying to trace a black Mercedes B Class with extensive damage to the front.
Jayden’s uncle, Josh Grant, said the teen had moved to London recently, after living in Nottingham.
He described him as a “good kid” who was settling into London.
He told the Standard: “I’m in bits. It’s a sad time. He was a good kid. When he was young he looked up to me and I always gave him advice and tried to show him the right way in life.”
Anyone with information is asked to call the incident room on 020 8345 3734 or tweet information to @MetCC. Alternatively, call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Canary Wharf: second man falls to his death in 24 hours

City worker’ plunged from fourth floor of Cabot Place shopping centre

Foreign News

A second man has died after “falling from a height” at Canary Wharf, less than 24 hours after a commuter plunged to his death from an escalator.

The tragedy is understood to have taken place inside the Cabot Place shopping complex beside the busy commuter station, in the heart of London’s financial district.

Employees “described hearing a sickening ‘thud’ and screams” as the victim, a man in his 50s, plunged from the fourth floor of the complex at around 8.30am this morning, the Daily Mirrorreports.

“The noise was unlike anything I had ever heard before – I thought it must have been a gun shot – then I heard screaming,” Jordan Bruin, who manages a clothing shop within the centre, told the Mirror.

“I ran out of the shop and there was a guy lying on the floor, he had fallen from the top floor.”

A local man told the London Evening Standard that the man was “dressed professionally, like a City worker” and that a bag and mobile phone were lying close to the body.

Despite treatment from emergency services, he was pronounced dead at the scene shortly after 9am.

The shopping centre was closed for around three hours after the incident, but has since reopened.

Yesterday, a 32-year-old man was killed in what appears to be a freak accident after falling from a moving escalator inside Canary Wharf tube station. Police are not treating the incident as suspicious.