CAF: confirmed Guines to host AFCON 2025

Guinea

Confederation of African Football (CAF) president Ahmad Ahmad announced on Sunday that Guinea had agreed to host the African Nations Cup (AFCON) in 2025, potentially solving a crisis that ensued when Cameroon was stripped of this year’s AFCON.

Ahmad, who was on a visit to Guinea, along with FIFA president Gianni Infantino, said Guinea’s President Alpha Condé had agreed to a delay in hosting the tournament.

Guinea’s football federation had earlier protested plans by CAF to strip them of the AFCON 2023 hosting rights.

In 2014, CAF awarded Nations Cup hosting rights to Cameroon (2019), Ivory Coast (2021) and Guinea (2023).

But in November last year, CAF stripped Cameroon of this year’s hosting rights, citing insecurity and infrastructure delays. CAF then proposed that all AFCONs be delayed, with Cameroon hosting AFCON2021, Ivory Coast hosting the touranment in 2023 and Guinea, being pushed forward to 2025.

READ MORE: Is it time for CAF to revise process of awarding AFCON hosting rights?

While Ahmad also told reporters that Cameroon has agreed to host the Nations Cup in 2021, Ivory Coast, which has been offered AFCON 2023, has lodged an appeal with the Court of Arbitration for Sport against the decision to hand the 2021 tournament to Cameroon.

CAF is set to announce the host for this year’s African Nations Cup on Wednesday, choosing between bids from Egypt and South Africa.

Egypt confirmed as hosts nation for AFCON 2019

The upcoming African Cup of Nations, AFCON, will be hosted by Egypt, the Confederation of African Football, CAF; announced on Tuesday after a high level meeting.

The race was between Egypt and South Africa, who submitted candidacies late last year after CAF stripped Cameroon of the hosting rights.

Cameroon was stripped of the rights because of their inability to put together infrastructure in time and also due to security threats in parts of the country.

CAF Executive Committee members were initially set to vote in Dakar on Wednesday but opted to do so 24 hours earlier and hours to the 2018 CAF Awards also taking place in the Senegalese capital today, January 8.

South Africa has extensive infrastructure built when they hosted the first World Cup in Africa in 2010. Watchers however expressed reservations about the low South African patronage of other teams.

Egypt also has extensive football facilities, although in recent years attendances at local matches have been restricted because of security concerns in the wake of the Arab Spring revolution and Tahir Square demonstrations.

Morocco had been the favourite to step in after repeatedly promising to do so if needed but then surprisingly said it was not interested once Cameroon was stripped of hosting rights.

It is the first time the tournament will be played mid-year away from the traditional January – February date. It will last between June 15 to July 13, 2019. It will also be the first time there will be 24 participating teams.

Nigeria Victor Moses announces international retirement

Chelsea winger Victor Moses stunned the Nigerian football community by announcing his international retirement on Wednesday.

The 27-year-old stated his desire to focus on his club career with his Premier League team, his young family, and encourage the progression of the next generation of Super Eagles players.

“I would like to announce that after much thought I have made the decision to retire from playing international football. I have experienced some of the best moments of my life wearing the Super Eagles shirt and have memories with me that will last a lifetime. Nothing will ever compete to what it felt like to represent Nigeria on behalf of our country,” Moses said in a post on Facebook.

“However I feel that now is the right time to step away in order to be able to focus fully on club career and my young family as well as to allow the next generation of Super Eagle stars the opportunity to step up and to flourish. We are blessed as a nation to have so many exciting young players coming through and now is their time.

“There are so many highlights that stand out for me over the years; from making my debut, to playing in two World Cups and being a part of the team to win the African Nations Cup for first time for our nation since 1994 being just a few of them.

“I have already spoken to the manager by telephone and would like to say thank you to him and his staff, the NFF and all of my teammates for all of their support over the years. Most importantly I would like to say thank you to the Nigerian people for believing in me and supporting me over the years. It’s meant the world to me and my family and I will always be a proud Nigerian supporting the team. Thank you for the memories and good luck to the team for the future.”

Moses’ Nigeria debut took a year before it happened, due to a prolonged delay by FIFA in confirming his international switch of allegiance, – having represented England at the youth level – and a late minute withdrawal from a pair of international friendlies in 2011.

However, he did eventually make his Nigeria debut away to Rwanda in a 2013 Africa Cup of Nations qualifier in February 2012, and went on to make 37 appearances, scoring 12 goals for the national team.

He represented the Super Eagles in two FIFA World Cups, and emerged a winner in his solitary Africa Nations Cup in 2013.

Nwankwo Kanu has heart set on new goals saving lives that means more than winning any trophies

The Kanu Heart Foundation, set up in 2000 to help under-privileged children across Africa with heart problems, has carried out 542 operations to date

NWANKWO KANU is one of Arsenal’s legendary ‘Invincibles’ and won lots of silverware in his glittering career.

But the work he is doing saving lives with his heart charity today means more to him than any trophy.

The Gunners cult hero, who celebrated his 42nd birthday on Wednesday, has undergone open-heart surgery twice.

He set up The Kanu Heart Foundation in 2000 to help under-privileged children across Africa with heart problems which has carried out 542 operations to date.

The three-time FA Cup winner told SunSport: “For me, one life being saved means more than winning trophies.

“Trophies are good, you work hard for them, but you have them, hold them and then they are gone. But life, when it stops, that is the end.”

The first time Kanu had surgery was in 1996 having just joined Inter Milan when doctors told him he would never play again.

It came as a complete shock as he felt at the peak of his powers both physically and technically, having helped Nigeria to a gold medal at the Atlanta Olympics.

He recalled: “I was on top of the world. I had played the 90 minutes of every game at the Olympics and nothing was stopping me.

“I didn’t have any symptom or sign. No tiredness or coughing. When I signed for Inter Milan, I played two friendly games and then the third one, they said I couldn’t play. I had to wait.