Dad learns sons were not his after 21 years – and he'd been infertile since birth

Foreign News, Uk


Millionaire MoneySupermarket.com co-founder Richard Mason had no idea he wasn’t the boys’ biological dad until he was diagnosed with cystic fibrosis
Richard Mason discovered his three sons couldn’t possible be his(Image: Facebook)

A devoted dad has discovered the three sons he had raised for more than 20 years were not his when doctors told him he had been infertile since birth.

Now Richard Mason’s ex-wife has been ordered to pay him £250,000 to him but is allowed her to keep the identity of the real father a secret.

https://securepubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/ads?iu=%2F5293%2Fmirror.co.uk%2Fnews%2Fuk-news&adk=414504483&sz=300×1&output=html&impl=ifr&ifi=1&scp=templ%3Damp%26platform%3Ddistributed%26oid%3D13819040&adf=4122100790&nhd=1&adx=0&ady=1157&oid=2&adsid=AAHFkB6PWyKLQmDYTYLJCRxyMYPWNSyg1ZlwrSehHT3q8BCzg3bctYcxWLrxAiCrrR-B2iXUiSEp4A&jar=2019-01-08-07&pucrd=CgwIABAAGAMgACgAOAESAhgHeAM&gdfp_req=1&sfv=1-0-23&u_sd=3&is_amp=3&amp_v=1812131718380&d_imp=1&c=397986006899&ga_cid=l9w1qEk0qeoWe67UV8I77WtsM2uQ39Zdjb7HHNVdZUgLGTwNu9mB8v-Lpa6xHQnT&ga_hid=6899&dt=1546933546022&biw=414&bih=719&u_aw=414&u_ah=896&u_cd=32&u_w=414&u_h=896&u_tz=0&u_his=3&isw=414&ish=719&vis=1&scr_x=0&scr_y=1&bc=7&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.mirror.co.uk%2Fnews%2Fuk-news%2Fdad-found-out-sons-raised-13819040&top=www.google.co.uk&loc=https%3A%2F%2Fwww-mirror-co-uk.cdn.ampproject.org%2Fv%2Fs%2Fwww.mirror.co.uk%2Fnews%2Fuk-news%2Fdad-found-out-sons-raised-13819040.amp%3Famp_js_v%3D0.1%26usqp%3Dmq331AQGCAEoAVgB%23origin%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Fwww.google.co.uk%26prerenderSize%3D1%26visibilityState%3Dvisible%26paddingTop%3D54%26p2r%3D0%26horizontalScrolling%3D0%26csi%3D1%26aoh%3D15469335121924%26viewerUrl%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Fwww.google.co.uk%252Famp%252Fs%252Fwww.mirror.co.uk%252Fnews%252Fuk-news%252Fdad-found-out-sons-raised-13819040.amp%26history%3D1%26storage%3D1%26cid%3D1%26cap%3Dswipe%252CnavigateTo%252Ccid%252Cfragment%252CreplaceUrl&ref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.co.uk%2F&bdt=138&dtd=318&aet=n&__amp_source_origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.mirror.co.uk

Devastated Mr Mason had no idea he wasn’t the boys’ biological dad until two years ago when he was diagnosed with cystic fibrosis.

The inherited disease prevents male sufferers from fathering children naturally and DNA tests confirmed beyond doubt that he had no biological link to his eldest son, now 23, and his 19-year-old twins.

Mr Mason believes that the same man fathered all three boys during an on/off four-year affair his wife Kate, 54, embarked on in the late 1990s.

But she only confessed to the adultery in 2016, ten years on from their divorce, when he confronted her about the children’s paternity.

It is not known if Mrs Mason’s former lover is aware he is the real father.

Devastated Mr Mason had no idea he wasn’t the boys’ biological dad until two years ago when he was diagnosed with cystic fibrosis(Image: Facebook)
DNA tests confirmed beyond doubt that he had no biological link to his eldest son, now 23, and his 19-year-old twins(Image: Liverpool Echo)

The case, reported in the Mail on Sunday today, came to light when Mr Mason launched a legal bid to claw back some of the £4 million divorce settlement his wife received, as well as suing her for paternity fraud.

As a result, two of the boys have since broken off contact with him.

Mr Mason, now happily remarried to Emma, launched a legal bid to claw back some of the £4 million divorce settlement from his wife(Image: North Wales Live WS)

Last night, Mr Mason, 55, a co-founder of internet comparison site MoneySupermarket.com, said that discovering the boys were not his own left his life in pieces.

“You don’t know what’s real and what isn’t – it’s as if I’m living in The Matrix,” he said

His solicitor Roger Terrell said: “We understand that it’s a legal first because there has never been a divorce financial settlement set aside in such emotive circumstances.”

40 American millennials embark on trip to ‘discover Nigeria’

40 American Millennials set to discover Nigeria
40 American Millennials set to discover Nigeria

A group of 40 American millennials has embarked on a trip to Nigeria to experience first-hand, the limitless opportunities of the country.
The Director of Discover Gidi, organisers of the annual trip to Nigeria, Mr Ugo Obilo, told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in New York that the group would be in Nigeria from Thursday  to Jan. 2. 2019.
According to him, Nigeria has limitless opportunities for the millennial, aiming to have a great time, adding the trip will increase the number of people that have been to Nigeria.
Obilo said: “We wanted to give them the opportunity to enjoy more of that in different ways with their friends, to see different things culturally.
“As we started promoting things, a lot of non-Nigerians wanted to come as well. We started out because a lot of young Nigerians are not excited to go back to Nigeria.
“So we wanted to give them the opportunity to go back with young crowd and enjoy and see Nigeria in a new way so that we can generate excitement about it again.
“This is because our generation needs to be the one that is giving back to the community, being able to fund the economy in different ways.
“But to our surprise, a lot of non-Nigerian millennials decided that they wanted to visit and travel there as well.”
According to him, when the 2017 group visited Nigeria, it was made up of half Nigerians and half non-Nigerians and they had a very good time and enjoyed themselves.
Obilo said in 2018, when the organisers started promoting the trip, it was overwhelming that a lot of non-Nigerians wanted to come and see and experience Nigerian culture first-hand.
“So we have about 40 people coming this year. Mostly, they are people that have never been to Nigeria, non-Nigerians themselves.
“We have a well-structured itinerary, a good balance being able to see the culture, enjoy Nigerian nightlife, being able to see a lot of the historical aspects of the country as well.
“We intend to go to the Badagry Slave Port, we’re going to have a cultural night at Terra Cotta, they are doing a Language Lesson, we have a day to go to the beach and enjoy.
“We’re going to Nike Art Gallery, we’re going to Lekki Conservation Centre, we’re going to different places on the Island to see the beaches in the Victoria Island, and a service day on the mainland.”
He said the participants would also have a naming ceremony where each of them would elect to receive a traditional Nigerian name.
According to him, the idea is an effort to afford people of all backgrounds and nationalities the opportunity to experience the beauty of the African Diaspora.
“Out of necessity, we wanted to change the conversation and eliminate reservations individuals have regarding travelling to Africa and African cities.
“As a Nigerian, I wanted to be at the forefront of a movement that would encourage my peers to not only travel to Nigeria, but also lead them to invest in Nigeria’s future,” he said.
Obilo said the annual trip was named ‘Discover Gidi’ as a literal ode to the pre-existing beauty of Nigeria and Lagos, adding, the mission is to allow others to discover the beauty that Nigeria has to offer.
According to him, the trip sets out to appeal specifically to Nigerian-Americans looking to travel home in a curated group-trip format.
HR said there had been an influx of non-Nigerians particularly, millennials of different backgrounds, who wanted to see and experience Nigeria for the first time.
 

How I lost my legs to husband beating – Woman

One Riskat Abdulsalam, a mother of two, on Thursday asked a Mapo Customary Court in Ibadan to dissolve her 12-year-old marriage with her husband, Taiwo Abdulsalam for wife battering.

Narrating her ordeal, Riskat who lived at Bodija area of Ibadan, said that her husband had become so used to beating her to the extent that he rendered her incapacitated as she could no longer walk.

NAN quoted her as saying, “Taiwo has subjected me to untold physical, psychological and emotional torture and the latest is the reason why I chose to part ways with him.

“After I left his home on Sept. 8 2017, he met me at Molete area where he violently pushed me into a ditch and I lost my two legs to that singular push.

“Medical doctors told me that I might never be able to use my legs to walk normally again and that is why am on clutches now.

“Taiwo beats me every now and then on simple matters and even starved the children and I of food.

“Whether he is responsible or not, I pray this honourable court to give me custody of the two children, because he has not got what it takes to cater for them.”

The respondent, who accepted the divorce suit, however, denied all the allegations levelled against him.

Taiwo, a businessman, said that his wife lacked patience, adding that she was the sole cause of her predicament.

“My lord, Riskat is not ready to endure with me in any bad situation. Whenever there is little or nothing, she comes with her problems.

“However, I give her more than enough anytime I am buoyant, including the children.

“In fact, I have pleaded with her over and over not to leave me, but Riskat cursed herself that she would prefer to be afflicted with tragedy than to come back to my house.

“I even invited some Islamic clerics to intervene, but she remained adamant,” Taiwo explained.

Chief Ademola Odunade, President of the court, advised the duo to consider the implication of their action on their children by allowing peace to prevail.

Odunade adjourned the case till Aug. 16 for judgment.